Parenting a child is a tedious and demanding job but parenting a child with autism requires more skills and patience than ever.
ASD (Autism spectrum disorder) is not an easy concept to define. According to various psychiatrists, ASD is a developmental and neurological disorder that hampers the communication and social skills of the children. Autism is chronic and cannot be generally cured. But with multiple therapies, the child can live a normal life.
On World Autism Day, ILS Hospitals, one of the best hospitals in Kolkata and Agartala, will share ways through which you can help and support your autistic child to lead a normal life.
- Educate yourself about Autism: If you do not know what autism is all about, you will never be able to help your child at all. Read books on autism, research on the internet, meet with parents who have an autistic child and consult with a psychiatrist to get a reliable solution.
- Spend time with your child: Your autistic child might show signs of social withdrawal but he or she needs your time more than anything in this world. The needs of an autistic child are the same as other children, it’s just that they do not know how to express themselves.
- Involve your child in social activities: No matter how different and difficult your child is, he or she deserves to play and interact with others. Never hesitate to involve your autistic child in social gatherings and other social events. There’s nothing wrong with your child and he or she should be treated like any other normal child by everyone.
- Always be positive and patient: Sudden outbursts are a common phenomenon with autistic children. Patiently handle their tantrums and be positive about the situation as the child is not aware of the consequences.
- Respect your child’s boundaries: Do not force your child to do something they do not want to do. Respect them like you would respect any individual.
- Do not treat your child differently: If you have more than one child, then do not give the autistic child a different or special treatment than the others. Also, tell your other children to cooperate with their autistic sibling and never exclude him or her from their group.
- Give your love and support: Children seek affection and if they don’t receive them from their families they struggle with their self-esteem and self-expression. Love and support are going to be a soothing balm for your autistic child.
Hospitals in Agartala and Kolkata will always help you and your child in dealing with any medical issues. Do not hesitate to seek medical aid from our team.
Parenting is no child’s play. It takes multiple efforts and patience from the parent’s end to raise healthy children. Today’s children are tomorrow’s leaders so taking care of them means ensuring a healthy future of our country.
As a parent, it’s normal to be constantly worried about your kid’s health. So, today ILS Hospitals, the best hospital in Kolkata would like to share some health tips that will ensure your child’s good health. Let’s take a look at them.
1. Serve nutritious food:
Children are picky eaters by nature which can cause problems to the parents and affect the child’s growth and development. Your children deserve adequate nutrition which they will get from fruits, vegetables, pulses, dairy, meat and nuts. Your children do not like eating nutritious foods because they find it boring. Serve healthy meals with a tasty twist. Start with a wholesome breakfast of poha, upma, oats idli, stuffed parantha, boiled eggs, whole-wheat toast and milk. Ensure to pack one fruit of any choice on your kid’s lunch box. For lunch and dinner, you can go for the basic rice, roti, dal, vegetable curries, meat, salad and so on.
2. Feed your child frequently:
Mothers usually stuff their children’s plate with foods in larger quantities. Let your child eat frequent small meals throughout the day. Instead of piling up your kid’s plate with more food allow your child to ask for a second serving. The notion is to ensure that your children eat 4-5 meals a day to get more energy and nutrition.
3. Give them a glass of milk daily:
Give your children a glass of milk daily either during the morning or evening. If your child finds it difficult to fall asleep at night then let them drink milk before going to bed.
4. Encourage good hygiene:
Teach your kids to wash their hands properly and frequently as and when required to prevent infections and diseases.
5. Pay attention to their mental well-being:
Children are sensitive. A loving environment will improve your child’s mental health. Give lots of love and support to your kids.
6. Take them to get routine health checkups:
Regular health checkups are important for your child’s good health. ILS Hospitals value your child’s health and well-being so we offer Child Health Checkup Packages in our hospital units. Our Paediatric Unit works around the clock to ensure your child’s health and mental well-being.