Pregnancy and childbirth are incredible experiences but for some women, they can also become overwhelming. Sometimes, pregnancy and delivery are not sunshine and rainbows because baby blues are real. Baby blues are a psychological condition felt by women right after delivery. When you have baby blues, you feel unhappy and emotionless for no reason. Usually, baby blues go away on their own within a week but in case if a new mother has baby blues that last longer than two weeks then she might be suffering from postpartum depression.
(Get premium care during pregnancy and childbirth from ILS Hospitals, the best maternity hospital in Kolkata and Agartala)
Postpartum depression is a serious mental condition that happens to new mothers post childbirth due to psychological and hormonal changes in the body. You’re more at risk of developing postpartum or postnatal depression if you fall under the following criteria:
- History of depression or other mental disorder
- Do not have support from the spouse, family, and friends
- Lack of sleep
- Have an unwanted and unplanned pregnancy
- Dealing with a financial crisis
- Living a stressful life
Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
- Feeling sad and hopeless
- Mood swings
- Frequent crying without any reason
- Insomnia or hypersomnia (sleeping too much)
- Poor appetite
- Difficulty concentrating
- Anti-social behaviour
- Anhedonia (not enjoying things that were once enjoyable)
- Thoughts of hurting the baby or oneself.
If you have the above symptoms that persist for more than one or two weeks, do not delay getting medical treatment.
Treatment for Postpartum Depression
Once you’ve been diagnosed by the healthcare professional for postnatal depression, you might be prescribed the following treatment:
- Talk therapy
- Medications – mostly antidepressants
- Electroconvulsive or shock therapy (in severe cases when the above methods don’t work)
Visit ILS Hospitals, one of the best hospitals in Agartala and Kolkata to get an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment for postpartum depression.