Durga Puja – the festival that brings us closer to our family and friends. Amidst these overwhelming seasonal spirit, often we let our guards down and fall in tarps to several health complications. ILS Hospitals lists out some of the health issues related to festive-season and offers some tips and precautions to stay healthy.
1. As we are going through a confused climate, it is uncertain to say whether or not it will be raining in between Puja season. So, take every precaution you should during this time. Also, while pandal hopping, don’t forget to use the mosquito repellent.
2. Despite the prevailing monsoon, the intense sunlight, during the day with clear sky, can cause severe dehydration and sunburn if proper measures are not taken. So don’t forget to carry your umbrella during your day voyages and apply your sunscreen cream as well.
3. You should also be very particular about the food and drinks you feast upon outdoors, with your friends and family. Practice extra caution while going for the Fast food items like Noodles, Rolls and Pani Puri from street vendors.
4. Carrying and consuming bottled water is highly advised. Unpackaged water can be contaminated and thereby can lead to Diarrhoea, Typhoid, Food Poisoning, and Hepatitis.
5. Being in crowded places can cause spreading of several contagious illnesses such as cold, cough, flu and viral infections. Stay on guard while being with crowds in pandals and never-ending queue leading towards the same.
6. Pandal hopping for hours, regardless, of day or night is tiresome. Adequate rest is extremely necessary for you. So, even if you are extremely busy having fun, take out atleast 6 hours each day for sleep. Staying awake all night long is particularly not advised for elderly people and children.
7. Over excitement and enjoyment without caution can also lead towards mild to major injury. So keep a leash on the same and make health and safety your first priority.
8. If you already have any medical discomfort, you should be extra careful. For eg., if you have diabetes, you should keep taking your medicine without a miss and in case you have asthma and respiratory discomfort, it is best to plan your visit to avoid crowds as it might trigger an attack.
So, follow these simple precautionary tips and reap the best of this festive season. Also, take note that ILS Hospitals is all set and functional during the entire puja season. So come down at ILS Hospitals to address any medical emergency or discomfort that you encounter.
This time of the year evokes a different spirit altogether, isn’t it? After all Durga Puja has its own significance in the heart and spirit of every Bengali and other people belonging to Bengal. Though it is celebrated in several parts of the world, its essence and aura is unmatchable in this particular region. Needless to say, visiting hospitals in between this festive time, is never in one’s wish list, but every year, many people make these unexpected visits to address their health issues.
Here we present several festival-related health hazards and emergency that might need you to seek medical help during this Durga Puja.
1. Food Poisoning
Eating out with friends during pandal hopping is enjoyed by every youth. This binge eating can eventually end up causing food poisoning and other digestion discomforts. Seek Gastroenterologist if the problems persist.
2. Respiratory Difficulty
While participating in traditional rituals during puja, Dhunuchi dance or cooking and organizing Puja foods preparations for hours, it is not uncommon to encounter breathing discomfort. Seek respiratory & Chest Medicine if difficulty persists. In fact, people with a history of asthma and other respiratory issues should keep a distance from such activities, to be on the safe side.
3. Accidental Injuries to Children
Pandal hopping with family has its own fun and consequences. Having infants and toddlers along can often cause mild to severe injuries to the little ones. First-aid can be done at the nearest medical clinic or by a skilled family member, but a consultation from a pediatrician or neonatologist is advised to rule out the possibility of long-term complications.
4. Accidents and Trauma to Adults
While clicking selfies, in crowded pandals or during Bisarjan, might be a common practice for many skilled youths, but accidents can happen anytime if one becomes unmindful. Unless it is mild cut, bruise, or scrapes, it is best to address the trauma from a skilled orthopedics and emergency unit.
5. Headache and Acoustic Trauma
Loud music and people chattering cannot be mitigated in the puja festival and in fact, is enjoyed by most. However, it might cause minor to mild trauma for sensitive individuals, particularly the elders, kids and recovering patients. Seeking help from ENT specialist is advised for experiencing severe discomfort.
In case, you or your loved ones fall in traps to any of the above-mentioned health complications, rush to your nearest ILS Hospital and seek medical care. We are open 24/7 for your treatment and care. Jot down the numbers in case any medical emergency strikes.
Salt Lake: 033-40206500
Enjoy the festive season to its fullest. Happy Durga Puja