What Is a Hernia and What Can You Do About It?
Is there a weak spot in your muscle? Then, it is quite natural that the internal organ tends to push out. This condition is called a hernia.
There are several types of hernia – inguinal, femoral, hiatal, and umbilical. Usually, hernias are seen within the abdominal cavity, i.e. between the chest and hips.
If you notice any such bulges consult with the best hernia hospital in Kolkata.
Let’s get to know more about treating hernia.
What causes a hernia?
An inguinal and femoral hernia occurs due to weak muscles, and these have a possibility of occurring since birth. Hernia can also be associated with aging or severe strain on the abdominal or groin region.
Moreover, you can also suffer from a hernia due to congenital disabilities, such as congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Hiatal hernia can occur due to physical exertion, frequent coughing, pregnancy, or obesity.
Symptoms of a hernia
A lump or balls-like structure that protrudes out of the body. The lump is generally felt while doing general activities, like coughing, laughing, crying, or during any physical activity. Other than these:
- Bulging or swelling of the scrotum.
- Increasing pain at the sides of the bulge.
- The pain increases while lifting any object.
- With time the size of the bulb increases.
- There is an aching sensation.
- Feeling a bowel obstruction all the time.
However, in the case of an inguinal hernia, you won’t visualize any bulge on the body. But, you can experience frequent heartburn, difficulty swallowing, or regurgitation. Along with, chest pain and indigestion can be felt.
How is a hernia detected?
Medical professionals can see or feel the swelling part through physical examination where the hernia has occurred.
In the inguinal hernia, the patient is asked to cough, and the doctor examines the scrotum and groin.
Other tests assigned to assess the condition are ultrasound, barium X-ray, CT scan, and endoscopy.
What is the cure?
There is no natural cure for hernia, and the only best repair mechanism is to opt for a surgeon. Tests will be done to understand which method would best fit your case.
Three types of hernia surgery are performed:
- Open surgery – Small cuts are made right at the hernia location. The protruding muscles are placed back in their rightful place and stitched. Often a mesh is implanted that provides extra support.
- Laparoscopic robotic hernia – Like open surgery, the cut is made outside the abdomen. And, a tiny incision is kept for inserting surgical tools, which completes the process.
- Robotic hernia – This also uses a laparoscopic mechanism and is performed through a small incision. Surgeons do not handle the surgical instrument; instead, it is operated through the console. And, the surgeon directs it from the operating room.
What if a hernia is left untreated?
Hernias never get rectified automatically. You need to consult with the best hernia hospital in Kolkata and get treated before it grows and becomes much more complicated.
In the inguinal or femoral hernia, you can face obstructions where a part of the intestine gets
stuffed into the inguinal canal. This is followed by vomiting, stomach pain, a nauseated feeling, and a lump in the groin.
Blood supply gets restricted due to strangulation of a part of the intestine. And, it can also lead to tissue death within a few hours.
Can you prevent a hernia?
Maintaining body weight, eating healthy, exercising regularly, and incorporating enough antioxidants in your diet, including vegetables and fruits, can prevent hernia. Try to avoid constipation by consuming whole grains.
Be careful while lifting any objects. Consult with the best hernia hospital in Kolkata at ILS Hospitals in case of continuous coughing.