Diabetology and Endocrinology
Diabetes Mellitus is a group of metabolic condition, resulting in a prolonged period of high blood sugar. It is often recognized by the presence of symptoms such as increased frequency of urination, thirst, and hunger.
Diabetelogists at ILS Hospitals Address all three types of diabetes:
- Type 1 DM – when the pancreas fails to produce enough hormone by its beta cells.
- Type 2 DM – when the body does not respond to the hormone produced by its beta cells.
- Gestational diabetes – when an expecting mother has high blood sugar, despite no previous history of it.
If diabetes, despite the type, is not managed it can lead to
- Eye complications – including glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and cataracts etc.
- Foot complications – including neuropathy, ulcers, possible gangrene leading foot amputation
- Peripheral arterial disease- pain and tingling in the leg
- Skin problems
- Heart problems
- Gum disease
- Neuron problems
- Kidney problems
- Erectile dysfunction
- Healing of wounds
Diabetes is managed by diabetologists with the help of lifestyle, medications, and surgery, depending on the type and other factors. Often doctors can also recommend some perptide hormonal shot, and surgery, when needed.