Cardiology is the medical domain that deals with the diseases that onsets in the heart and some parts of the circulatory system.
The cardiologists at ILS hospitals handle multiple cardiological subspecialties. These include, but not limited to the followings:
- Cardiac arrhythmia- Persistent irregular heartbeat, which is either too fast or too slow. It is of 2 types, more than 100 beats per minute are called tachycardia and below 60 beats per minute is called bradycardia.
- Coronary artery disease, or ischemic heart disease- it includes diseases like stable angina, myocardial infarction, unstable angina, and sudden cardiac death.
- Cardiac arrest – a sudden failure of heart contraction that leads to the stoppage in the effective blood flow.
- Hypertension- Persistent high blood pressure in the arteries reaching the heart. A prolonged condition can lead to coronary artery disease, vision loss, chronic kidney disease, stroke, heart failure,
- Congenital heart defect- Presence of a defective heart since the time of the birth. The consequences can vary from none to life-threatening.
Some of the diagnostic probes that are used to evaluate the condition of the heart and the extent of an illness are as follows
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Holter monitoring
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Cardiac computerized tomography (CT) scans
- Stress test
- Cardiac catheterization