In spite of the usage of the term ‘General’ in medical domain, the General Surgery mostly deals with the surgeries carried out in the abdominal region. It also includes the oesophagus, stomach, small bowel, colon, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, appendix and bile ducts, and often the thyroid gland as well.
In ILS Hospitals, the following general surgical procedures are carried out, along with many more.
- Appendectomy- The surgical removal of the appendix.
- Breast biopsy – The invasive diagnosis/treatment to extract malignant cells in the breast.
- Cataract surgery- Surgical removal of the lens of the eye.
- Caesarean section- Surgical delivery of a baby through the mother’s abdomen and uterus.
- Cholecystectomy- Surgery for removal of the gallbladder.
- Debridement of wound, burn, or infection.
- Free skin graft- Surgical treatment to replace damaged skin.
- Haemorrhoidectomy- Surgical removal of haemorrhoids.
- Hysterectomy and Hysteroscopy- Surgical removal of uterus.
- Hernia repairs- Surgical procedure to correct a hernia.
- Mastectomy- Partial or total removal of breast/s
- Colectomy- Surgical removal of a part of colon.
- Prostatectomy- Surgical removal of partial or total prostate gland.
- Tonsillectomy- Surgical removal of one or both tonsils.